Village des Valeurs is one of my favourite stores and the best place to find great deals on great stuff. It’s known in the rest of Canada as Value Village, and I made a trip there last week to score some goods.
There are 9 Village des Valeurs in the Montreal area, but I prefer the one at Namur metro station. I shouldn’t be telling you guys this since I like to keep it my little secret and keep all the good stuff to myself…BUT I guess from one frugal scholar to another, I should share the wealth.
To get there, take the metro to Namur (near the end of the orange line), exit onto Jean Talon, and make a left – you will see it right away.
TIME TO PILLAGE THE VILLAGE.
I’m really intense with my shopping here, and this comes from years of experience. Grab a cart, pick a rack of clothing, and get to it. The clothes are separated into sizes which makes it easier, and styles such as sweaters, blouses and jeans.
I literally go through every piece of clothing. It takes time and a quick eye, but it’s the only way you’ll find the hidden gems. Within five minutes I found my first score-a brand new Ralph Lauren sweater for SEVEN DOLLARS. I also found shirts with the tags still attached, a Zara dress, and a Dolce and Gabbana shirt.
Hay gurl hay-Michael Kors shoes!
Not my size
I spent two and a half hours at Value Village that night and I still didn’t get through it all. But it was sooo worth it.
Among the things I brought home:
- A Roots Cable Knit Poncho ($13)
- A United Colors of Benetton tee ($4)
- Brand new leather boots ($10)
- A Tank from Tristan ($4)
You can’t beat that! Over my years and many travels to VV Boutique, I have established several rules:
- Take your time: You won’t find much by just skimming, and remember - it’s an experience.
- Try it on: Because the clothing comes from many different brands, in different styles, from different time periods, you really need to try the stuff on. They do accept exchanges, but it’s not nearby so consider your purchases a final sale.
- Only buy one ‘wacky’ piece: That gold lamé jacket or tiger print sweater may be a unique piece that you won’t find at your nearest Forever21, but if you wouldn’t buy it in any other store, don’t buy it here. That being said, for the price you’re paying allow yourself one piece that is unique and totally you.
- Wash your purchases before you wear them at home: The clothes aren’t necessarily dirty, but they’re clean either. Makes sense.
Hint: All Village Des Valeurs restock on Tuesdays.
Have you shopped at Village Des Valeurs? Have any more tips? I’d love to hear!